In the early 1940's the British Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI) Ltd built experimental glasshouses in the grounds of its headquarters at Fernhurst, close to Haslemere in Surrey, England. Here pioneering research into the nutrition of hydroponically grown crops, and especially NFT (the Nutrient Film Technique), took place.
From this research came Solufeed 'F' ('F' for Fernhurst) the very first complete hydroponics feed - still sold today! Later came Solufeed 'H' ('H' for Haslemere) a two component feed specially formulated for tomatoes.
In 1990 Solufeed Ltd. was formed following a management buyout from ICI. The product range expanded and exports increased.
Today the company is in independent ownership, focusing on specialty fertilizers for the agriculture, horticulture and amenity sectors. The product range has expanded still further and the company exports to more than 40 countries across the world.
Export activity has been so successful that a Queen's Award for Enterprise (International Trade category) was awarded in April 2011.
Solufeed products, both liquid and powder, are manufactured and marketed to the standards of ISO 9001/2008.